The Kalshoven-Gieskes Forum on International Humanitarian Law
is hiring a
Student Assistant (0.2 fte) for a period of 5 months
(1 Nov. 2023 – 31 March 2024)
The Kalshoven-Gieskes Forum (KGF) was established in 2011 and provides a platform within Leiden University’s Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies for research, teaching, and dissemination of International Humanitarian Law (IHL). The Forum offers innovative teaching of IHL at Leiden University in the format of the practically oriented and research led ‘IHL Clinic’, which enables students to conduct research on real-life issues occurring in and surrounding armed conflict. The research feeds into cooperating partners’ endeavors to promote IHL, assist victims of armed conflict in seeking access to justice, and prevent violations of IHL. The Forum is directed by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Robert Heinsch.
Tasks of the Student Assistant
The main task of the student assistant is to support the administrative structure of the KGF and its Leiden IHL Clinic, while also supporting the public relations efforts of the Forum, especially maintaining its social media presence and website.
- Assisting in the administration of the Forum, its IHL Clinic and professional networks;
- Supporting the public relations activities of the Forum;
- Maintaining the Forum’s social media accounts;
- Mapping of KGF staff and students, including network maintenance;
- Assisting in the organization of ad hoc events, including online and in-person workshops and roundtables.
- Current enrolment at Leiden University, preferably in one of the LL.M. programmes in Public International Law (reg. or adv.);
- Previous education/training in International Humanitarian Law is seen as an asset;
- A high sense of commitment, dedication, and willingness to assist in on-going dissemination and organizational matters of the Forum;
- Strong dedication and commitment to the goals and objectives of the Forum;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as an ability and willingness to work collaboratively and collegially in a team;
- Excellent command of the English language;
If you want to become a student assistant at the Kalshoven-Gieskes Froum, please submit your application by Sunday, 15 October 2023, 23:59h (CET). Your application documents should include a motivation letter and a CV. Please submit all documents in one PDF document with a file name in the format APPLSTA2023.LASTNAME.FIRSTNAME to the following email address: KGFLeiden@gmail.com.
For any further questions, please contact Dr. Robert Heinsch at email@example.com